Sunday, December 16, 2007

First post here.

It's not like I don't have a blog elsewhere, but I like google, so I figured why not move myself over to Blogger? Gen-Y has Facebook and MySpace, Gen-X gets to have Blogger, or at least that's how I see it.


Attack of the Rhetorical Language.

It's amusing to read personal ads, especially on craigslist. C'mon admit it, you know you enjoy it too...it's your vice and you know it!

Have you noticed the pervasiveness of rhetorical language?
  • "Looking for that special one" - as if you'd be, "Looking for that run-of-the-mill kind of guy?"
  • "Looking for a good guy" - really now, who isn't? I want someone that is all wrong!
  • "I'm looking for someone that likes to have fun" - that's my favorite; do men have russian hands because they hate it? Are there women that are passionately drawn to boredom? Who doesn't like to have fun?

Besides the rhetorical language, isn't it funny that most people think they're intelligent? I love that one, by the way. If you advertise your intelligence but proceed to use the wrong homonyms in your ad, the smart people will only think lesser of you - and spell checker won't correct your homonyms for you either! Yes, I have seen these ads.

No comments: