Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Dictum meum pactum, except at ASU and UCLA.

Earlier this year, UCLA had all but sealed the deal for Rocky Seto to become the Bruin's next defensive coordinator with a verbal acceptance.  Overnight however, the offer was rescinded, and it may have been because fans were upset that another former Trojan may yet join the Bruin coaching staff.

Today, a very similar series of events unfolded at Arizona State, where negotiations were almost completed to make June Jones its next head coach.  Jones had even called back assistant coaches from recruiting trips to tell them that he was about to accept the job at ASU.  But like Bruin fans, Sun Devil fans stepped in throughout the day, and by late afternoon, the offer was rescinded.

It is unsurprising, that these two schools are having difficulty finding coaches who are eagerly wanting to jump ship and coach there -- my word is my bond, except at ASU and UCLA.

I ran into that same situation once, after a job offer from a Bellevue Washington firm that was ideally situated in downtown (location, location, location).  I was even searching for places to buy or rent.  And then silence and no return emails or phone calls.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me, right?  ASU and UCLA have set their reputations into stone, and people do not forget.

No comments: