Sunday, May 28, 2017

People Are Idiots and Full of Shit

A month ago or so, I left an online comment that people have become experts and now offer their expertise in judging beers by the most ridiculous metrics. It hit a nerve as dozens of people agreed. A lot of people waste their time offering up an opinion that is either meaningless or otherwise worthless.

On Friday I bought a six-pack of Kennebunkport Brewing Company's Blueberry Ale. I was outside for a couple of hours in 85F direct sunlight and nothing sounded better than some cold ale. I love blueberries and since I already love McMenamin's Ruby Ale, so I figure why not try it?

Loved it. I'm not saying that it's the best ale I've ever had, but it's definitely on the list of beers I'll gladly quaff, especially if at a party or after a hot day outside. Definitely a lot better than anything in the Trader Joe's Josephbrau series.

Thinking back to my comment the other month, I decided to see how people online rated the beer. The internet did not disappoint.

3.1 -- $1.00 bottle from Trader Joe’s. Instant blueberry aroma, somewhat candied. Golden, almost no head. Dust and light sweat in aroma too. Flavor is blueberry, somewhat sweet, dry cracker, wheat. It’s OK.
2.9 -- Pours a medium yellow with a big white head that leaves lacing. Nose is slight blueberry. taste is blueberry tartness with slight malt and slight bitter aftertaste. It is a wheat ale. 12 oz twist cap bottle. 
2.7 -- Bottle at a friend’s party. She loves fruit beer so I picked up one of each that they had at Trader Joe’s Blueberry throughout. But that wheat twang was not so good. 
2.4 -- Bottle to glass - pours pure gold. Very effervescent head, quickly dissipating, literally just a few seconds. Strong wheaty blueberry pancake aroma. I guess it’s crisp and refreshing but little more than some fruity candy and some bitter grains. Tastes like something your mom would order at a chain brewpub.
I don't know what to say. Maybe the aroma of "dust and light sweat" comes from your basement, and what exactly is a "dry cracker" taste? Having just finished off a glass of the ale, I can guarantee you that it is not golden nor pure gold; it is a much darker amber color that is somewhere between a pilsner and a nut brown. Anyone who calls it golden needs to get their eyes checked. And suggesting that there is a bitter aftertaste to a wheat beer is laughable; that aftertaste is the lingering sweetness of the blueberries, not some bitterness or bitter grains.

It tastes good. I would drink it again. I have three categories of beer:

  1. Beers that I would not hesitate to drink again.
  2. Beers that are okay but not my first choice.
  3. Beers that I avoid.

That's it. Nothing complex about it.

Face it, internet people, you're not beer connoisseurs.

🤦

No comments: