Saturday, September 11, 2010

My top-15 list of Pizzicato Five songs.

I think it was 1995 or 1996 when I first discovered them via their Twiggy Twiggy video on MTV, of all places.  Of course, P5 being from Japan, all of their music is import-issued...aka EXPENSIVE! -- Until recently, that is.  Now, you can grab a lot of their MP3s on the cheap at eMusic.  They also have a wide selection of MP3s at Amazon, though slightly more expensive than eMusic, but at a higher bitrate (256Kbps average) than eMusic (192Kbps average).*

Their specific J-POP style makes me smile...big smile.  So I thought I'd make a top-15 list of my favorite P5 songs (I had too difficult of a time limiting myself to 10 songs):

  1. Magic Carpet Ride
  2. Sweet Soul Revue
  3. Twiggy Twiggy
  4. Strawberry Sleighride
  5. The Night Is Still Young
  6. Contact (Percolator Mix)
  7. Collision And Improvisation (The Shooter Remix)
  8. Rock N' Roll
  9. Go Go Dancer
  10. Groovy Is My Name
  11. Happy Sad
  12. Good
  13. A Perfect World
  14. Tout, Tout Pour Ma Cherie
  15. Airplane
*-If you ask me, I never rip my CDs as MP3s, because MP3 codec is a compression format that creates loss in audio fidelity, even if minute in scope and difference.  I only use FLAC to rip my CDs, which you can control to create lossless audio digital files.  They may be much larger than uncompressed, but they remain true to the original source (CD).  My favorite tool to rip FLAC files, is WinAmp (free version).  However, if you are in the Apple ecosystem, you cannot easily play back FLAC, and would have to rip your files to Apple Lossless format (MP4 files with the .m4a extension).  I consider this the primary reason why I will not touch Apple products, BTW.

[added: I should have checked earlier but it escaped me.  Amie Street has Pizzicato Five MP3s for very cheap.]

No comments: