Friday, June 25, 2010

The internet is overwhelming, but I love it.

I love the internet for a very simple reason: It gives any person the ability to reach out and find information.  Yes data is nice, yes current events and the speed in which they are delivered is nice, but I'm referring to the writings and thinking of other people, which then allows you to expand your horizon much broader and faster than a library ever could.

And yet, all that information can be overwhelming.

My biggest question to myself has lately been: Do I have enough time (today, this week, this month, this year, this decade, my entire lifetime) to read what I want to read, and learn what I want to learn?

I am sure, that such intentions are pure folly.  Who can make a living from learning?  Oh how grand of a dream to be a trust fund kid, so that I could have spent my life learning and experimenting with that knowledge!

Which then leads to my follow-up question to myself: Do I unintentionally - and to the detriment of my vocation - purge my old knowledge to make room for new knowledge?

It is disturbing to ponder the consequences of losing old knowledge to new.  It could mean that, in fact we are blessed with a fixed ability to store knowledge - each individual with their unique capacity - and therefore one can never be more knowledgeable than what one started out with (which should be interpreted as the end of our brain development in our youth as opposed to our brain at birth).  Or it could be that if you don't use that particular stores of knowledge on a regular basis, it fades away until it is eventually completely replaced with new knowledge, in which case, one will always lose old knowledge by the mere fact of the impracticality of exercising old knowledge on a regular basis.

Which finally brings me to the reasoning behind this blog post: The Dunning-Kruger Effect, as witnessed through a Mr. McArthur Wheeler, aka the lemon juice bandit, which was brought up while reading Errol Morris' series of opinion pieces in the NYT titled, "The Anosognosic's Dilemma: Something's Wrong But You'll Never Know What It Is."

If you spend enough time reading what other people have to say in the comment sections of every other website, you come to understand that a lot of really dumb people think they're smart... hell, aren't we all smart?  But then again, maybe I'm one of those dumb people that smart people find annoying?  :O

Nah (I know what my IQ is.) my biggest worry is that I lose part of my brain, such that I become a true anosognosic.

No comments: