Monday, April 12, 2010

Popbox HD.

I have no idea how I spaced out on this, but Popcorn Hour / Syabas is going to release the Popbox HD, said to be priced at $130. Having spent way too much time looking at different media players and their UI, I am hopeful that Popbox will do for me, what I was expecting to do with a HTPC running Boxee. If you haven't seen Boxee, you should check it out (or its predecessor, XBMC); the UI on Boxee is quite beautiful, compared to that of the Western Digital HD Live media player. No offense to WD, but their UI is ugly and boring, by comparison, and they do not currently have Netflix support, among other things.
The bonus of the Popbox is not just that it will have Netflix support, but that it has an API for developers to create content for the platform; it's likely we'll see a whole host of services runnng on Popbox, from Twitter to Facebook and all other forms of social media. As they say, content is king.
Unfortunately, the previously announced release date (March of this year) has long passed us by, and according to the official blog, while they have firmed up their schedule, they're not willing to release an official date, to avoid embarrassment of missing another deadline. That's fine with me; I nearly bought a WD HD Live media player this weekend at Costco, but felt like it was too inadequate; thank goodness I didn't get it; I can wait for the Popbox, especially when it's priced at $130.

No comments: