Thursday, April 22, 2010

Closing thoughts of the day.

Finally finished painting my Ikea bed frame, and assembling the bed frame and the mattress slat base, and disassembled my old bed frame to be tossed. The frame from Ikea was originally unfinished pine (FJELLSE frame - says it's $49.99 online, but it's $79.99 in-store), and at first I was going to stain it black. The more I thought about it however, even the most benign, water-based stain stinks, makes a mess, and requires sealing it, no matter what the stain manufacturer says. Instead, I went with water-based acrylic latex primer (tinted to a grey color) and water-based acrylic latex paint, both because of the low-voc values of water-based acrylic latex. I'd go with zero-voc, but it costs way too much, and they didn't have the quart size that I needed. In the end, I still have 3/4 of the primer and paint remaining.

Well, I ended up using Ikea SULTAN LONEVĂ…G slatted bed base, mostly because I was keen on the idea of having the head portion raised for reading in bed. All this is a huge step up from the simple, convertible futon frame that I had bought when I first moved to Portland, and I could feel how much more comfortable the bed was, even while keeping the same futon (I don't want to get rid of my futon because it has 4" of cotton and wool wrapped around a foam core). The dog liked it as well; he just lay there next to me, while I enjoyed the novelty of having the head part of the bed raised.


Been reading up on using CSS and HTML5; contemplating whether I want to go with CSS/HTML/javascript, or stick with Flash. Flash is actually kinda easy to do graphic layout and transitions, in comparison to having to code everything in javascript, but going traditional has its benefits, as more people are blocking Flash as a result of the spread of intrusive Flash adverts everywhere.


Took the time to cut back the plants - something normally done in the middle or start of Winter - and they looked much better. I sorta let my black bamboo's main stalks dry out and die, but like bamboo does, it's not dead. I cut back the main stalks, and three new stalks are beginning to show; grasses are like that. Cut back the ornamental japanese blood grass, and it looks good, as well. Now I have 5 small japanese maples - hope I buy a house one of these days - and they all seem happy. Need to vacuum the patio.

No comments: