Saturday, March 21, 2009

Bad things happen at the worst of times.

You know it's going to happen. First my sofa's armrest received a tear in the fabric, now the washing machine is on the fritz. Thankfully I don't need to worry about the expenses, but it gives you stress.

Best to smile and take it as it comes.

I can only imagine it would be a lot worse if I owned a house instead of a condo that was relatively newer. I don't have to worry about termites, dry rot or bats, moles or pine needles killing my grass, or the deep freeze that would have made mush out of lush plants.

---

On a different subject, I hear people are stealing dogs these days. I frequently leave my dog outside the grocery store or the post office, and I know some people think that when he's not on leash but waiting outside, that he might be a stray. But I also know that my dog absolutely does not want to go home with anyone else, and will squirm and escape anyone if they tried to grab him. He's a feisty boy that will not take kindly to anyone else trying to grab him, as he will get out of his collar - it's not that tight - if someone threatens him or tries to befriend him while I'm inside. In one case, I left my dog outside Safeway one morning, and when I came out, an employee had tried to give my dog a donut, which he would not eat. He left it on the sidewalk. I think I have the best dog in the world, really. :D

---

Finally, good news/bad news. Oregon's unemployment rate continued to climb, by a full percentage point to 10.8% in February, but that's a slower rate than January's rate over December. However, it also meant that Oregon now tops the region including California, whose rate moved upwards to 10.5% from 10.1% in January. Both states saw their rates slow down dramatically from the previous period. It may be a temporary lull however, as I know personally, three people who were laid off in March so far. All is fuzzy but not warm.

No comments: