Saturday, November 23, 2013

10 thoughts for November 22, 2013



I have a lot of thoughts going through my head, all the time.  Here's my way of getting a bunch of them out of my head, without taking the whole day to write long form.
  1. Here we go.  I just got an Evernote email telling me that, because my email address was listed in the Adobe accounts list that was hacked into and stolen, that I should review my current password.  No issue because I did not use the same password for Evernote.  But, I did  use that password for other sites, so I just spent the last hour going through those other sites and changing them to complex, unique ones.
  2. One by one, Hawai'i counties are moving to ban open GMO ag.  That is, GMO will be restricted to enclosed structures, to avoid cross-pollination with non-GMO plants.  Accidental cross-pollination is a common problem and impossible to stop if you have open air plantings. 
  3. Google Docs' text editor now allows you to edit styles...sort of.  You still can't bring in named styles when you import documents and you still can't rename them, and you still can't explicitly edit them.  Maybe in another 5 years, it'll be usable for large documents.  Until then, I'm mostly using Docs to take notes and compose short pieces that don't require much formatting, if any.
  4. There's been a surge in applications for the ACA.  Or, exactly as was expected by looking at the history of Romneycare.  It turns out, most people are motivated by deadlines -- see the post office on April 15th.
  5. Speaking of the ACA, apparently John Boehner took to tweeting about his travails in trying to register for coverage -- congressional members and their staff, by choice of Republicans, are required to use the ACA healthcare exchanges, don't ask me why.  Apparently he was properly signed up, but he hadn't tweeted about it, nor has he tweeted about how much he's paying.  You'd think someone who was angry at the ACA would be tweeting about his massive price hike.  Oh wait...maybe that's why he's gone silent: His coverage is actually affordable for a 64 year old smoker.
  6. On the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy, news organizations relived the events, as if they had unfolded in real time, today.  I can tell you now, on the 50th anniversary of 9/11, you can count me out.  I'm not one to relive trauma.
  7. The one and only time I think pit bulls are cute, are when they're puppies under the age of 6 months.  But dogs with short hair don't stay cute when they get older -- as adults, short hair dogs look like crew cut marines.  That's why I've never been attracted to pugs and bulldogs either.
  8. The weather prediction for Boulder, CO during game time of the USC - Colorado game, is ~60% chance of snow.  I think the Los Angeles kids will just love it, even if it's 25°F during the game.  USC 35 - Colorado 10.
  9. A follow up to the news that Winamp was going away.  Part of AOL's closure of Nullsoft also means that Shoutcast is going offline.  So tonight I found two alternatives to Shoutcast: Icecast and TuneIn.com.  I signed up for TuneIn because they have a nice Android app, so at least I have my streaming radio stations available.
  10. I'm not sure why people continue to shop Black Friday.  I don't think it's that small of a secret anymore, but you can get really awesome deals online every week from sites such as 1Sale.com, Dailysteals.com and Woot.com.  And you don't need to knock down a single person or camp out overnight to get these deals.

No comments: