Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Last night, I dreamed about...space planning.

It turns out, my strongest, most memorable dreams come at the last stages before I get up out of bed.  Naturally, I tend to linger in bed when the dream is interesting.  Today's dream had quite the twist.

I have a reoccurring nightmare that I'm in college and I'm down several credits from graduating on schedule.  This time, I was in college, moving into my apartment dorm.  The first thing I did when I entered my apartment, was space plan the layout of the furniture.  It gets weirder: my roommate was a female I went to high high school with, in real life.  (I usually don't have dreams of contemporaneous people in my life, but of people from a very long time ago.)

Now this was no ordinary apartment dorm, because it had leftover furniture from a prior occupant (which never happens), was on the ground floor, laid out like cabins, and had dual sinks inside.  The leftover furniture was very memorable, and weird.  They were 2' wide by 7' tall CD cases (like bookcases but for CDs because they're shallow), were made with 1/4" thick balsa wood boards and held together with brass hinges that had fallen apart and nicked my finger.  Of course there were bookcases as well, but they were wrapped in those vinyl cabinet shelving wraps.

I clearly remember trying rearranging the furniture a few times, trying to make it so that I'd have some sort way to block the view of my bed from the doors.  Again, this was a weird apartment, because it had a front and back door, and was one very large room with two full size beds (not the usual twin beds you find in dorm rooms or apartments catering specifically to college students).  Each time I arranged the space, it seemed like I was turning it into a linear layout with everything aligned to parallel walls, leaving the room wide open in the middle.

I also remember that my roommate had many female friends popping their heads in to say hi, and I thought this was going to be an awesome year.  What a weird but memorable dream that was!

No comments: