Friday, September 1, 2017

In Process Design.

This is the third project from my college years, that I've decided to go over and rework it. There are four reasons for this:

  1. I get to produce far better eye candy for my portfolio of ideas than what I could do in school, given the digital tools available to me in the 21st century.
  2. I get to revisit, reinforce, and develop some of the aesthetics / design language that I first explored in college.
  3. I'm not likely to get another opportunity to do this with large scale projects unless I work for a large firm and it's not likely that I'll ever work for a large firm given my general propensity to avoid the politics of a large firm.
  4. It's hella fun.

I have just one rule: I can't spend more than a few days on each project.

The base model for this particular project took 6 hours total to build. The design -- so far -- is much longer, especially with the compound curves. With the self-imposed time restrictions, I can't get into the nitty-gritty details at the plan level of how everything works, but that's okay because plan layout isn't what I'm after, here. Sculptural models and spatial thinking are what I'm chasing.


No comments: