Friday, October 16, 2015

5 Tips for the updated Fallout Shelter

Eleven days ago, Fallout Shelter failed to load. At that point I was a week into the max 200 occupants in my third vault. Ten days ago, I decided to uninstall and reinstall Fallout Shelter, which resulted in the loss of my vault, so naturally, I started a new one to see how well I could replicate my earlier success. I'm not at 200 yet, but I've very close (at 159) and it seems that I'll hit it in two weeks from the start of the vault, which shatters the three weeks it took to build the previous one up to 200.

Yesterday, Bethesda updated Fallout Shelter. If you watch the trailer, it more or less tells you everything you need to know about the changes. Additionally, there's a ceiling on the number of explorers allowed at any given time, unless you currently exceed that number (10), at which point I haven't had any trouble keeping the number of explorers above the ceiling. Apparently there's a Survival Mode which does not allow you to bring back the dead, but to get to this option you need to start a new vault.

With my current new vault and with these new changes to the game, here's five tips:
  1. My ultimate Deathclaw strategy requires time to create the system, but no matter how you do it, you must have it in place by the time you reach 60 occupants. I use one elevator on the first level, and the rest of the level is a dead end. Assign the highest level and the highest SPECIAL rated occupants to that first level. Give them the best weapons, starting with the Entry room first. The reason why you're giving the Entry room greater importance, is because these are the occupants who'll deliver the first, biggest blow to all invaders (in my case, no raider gets past the vault Entry room), and when the invaders move on to the next room, you'll be able to replenish them with Stimpacks, then throw them back into the fight in the next rooms to the right (which is why you want a dead end on the first level). In a lower level, I've built two 3-room connected Med Labs, upgraded it to the max, to produce 12 Stimpacks at a time, in each lab, allowing for a total storage of 60 Stimpacks at a time. I call the first level of my Vault, "The Kill Zone." Nothing gets past it. Don't keep any Barracks on the first level.
  2. I mentioned this before: Equip all of your occupants with clothes and weapons, and upgrade their clothes and weapons as you collect more, selling off the rest. Let me explain the importance of this. You will find that you don't need more than a couple of fully-upgraded storage rooms, which saves you on Caps, but also help you avoid unmanned rooms that can result in a spreading of Radroach and Molerat invasions, as well as fires.
  3. With the updated game, the mystery stranger randomly appears. There is a mysterious 3-note sound to signal his appearance somewhere in your vault. When he disappears there's a bull-horn sound. It's a very short appearance of about 5~10 seconds, and he'll appear all over the place; my experience is that I rarely find him. Sometimes I get a few hundred Caps, and other times I've grabbed two thousand Caps. The sounds will drive you mad.
  4. When you defeat the raiders, you can claim their dead bodies and one piece of clothing or weapon; in return you get Caps. To redeem them, you need to select their bodies. A pop-up will ask if you want to keep that article of clothing or weapon, or if you wish to sell it.
  5. The indicators at the top of the screen indicate Power, Food and Water. The line indicates the minimum required level for the number of rooms (in the case of Power) or people (in the case of Food and Water), at which point when you drop below that level, you go critical and the indicators for your occupants start to show red, which reduces their ability to function and live. At that point you'll have to hand out Radaways left and right. I try to maintain these minimum level lines at roughly the 1/4 mark from the left. People who keep their levels at the center or right of center, are playing with fire and will run into major issues with low mood levels. In my current vault, I'm averaging 93% approval, so I'm collecting ~130 Caps daily, just for keeping the occupants happy.
Badass weapons at the Entry (via Lunchboxes) make up the front end of my Kill Zone.

Mystery person! 3-note tune signals arrival; bullhorn indicates his disappearance.

No comments: