Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Power outage in the Pearl.

For the first time in years, the power is out in the vicinity of my building, for blocks -- probably the result of someone slipping on black ice. Chumpz.

/update/

Power is *finally* back on at 10:30, which makes this the longest outage (5 hours) I've experienced in Portland.  I must be spoiled, because I remember the power being out in Honolulu for a lot longer and with greater frequency.  Portland General's website said t'is was an equipment failure.  Thank goodness it didn't happen last November when it got down to 12 degrees overnight and never reached above 25 for a few days.

One very good thing about Portland, is that the water is completely gravity-fed, so no need for electric pumps as is the case in Hawaii, where water is naturally stored in cisterns and pumped out.  When the power goes out, people fill everything they can with water.

I can have my coffee and hot shower now -- even though it's a gas water heater, it has an electronic ignition, so when the power is out, the hot water is, too.

No comments: