Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Emergency boxes.

It occurred to me, despite the lack of likely natural and manmade disasters to ever affect Portland, that I should put together a priority list of essential items to pack into boxes, and prioritize the boxes themselves. So far, I've gotten through box 1:
  • Cell phone + charger
  • Laptop/netbook
  • network attached storage / external drive
  • wallet
  • all keys
  • stashed cash
  • birth certificate
  • allergy pills

My data is my life; I am planning on setting up a network attached storage that would serve as a copy of everything on one of my computers, thereby allowing me to grab it and run if I have to. I'm not sure clothes need to be in box 1, or if it can slide to box 2. Anyway, I figure it's like packing on a trip: If you didn't take time to plan it out even if just a mental exercise, it'll take you longer when you actually start packing and you're bound to forget some important things.

No comments: