Monday, April 9, 2018

Change.

Change is -- no matter what anyone says -- difficult.

It's taken me some time to finally reach the point where I've freed my creative mind from the constraints of professional practice. I've always told myself that I'll know the point where my design has reached the point of freedom. After dozens of iterations of multiple ideas and countless redirections, I've found myself, again.



When I say that I've found myself, again, what I mean is that I've rediscovered the pure creativity that I'd lost from working within the confines of a firm. Before I was laid off during the crisis of 2008, I'd started exploring some unique design language that would have separated myself from anyone else at the firm I'd been working for, and for that matter anywhere else.

Some might say that I trapped myself by working at firms that are mediocre at best. Maybe. But the problem one might encounter from working at a creative firm is that of absorption of someone else's language. Each high-end design firm has a distinguishable design language, whether Olson-Kundig, Gehry Partners, or Rotondi.

Mediocrity is the security blanket of working within the known design language of others; you're not truly creative if you cannot or will not explore and define your own design language.

When I say that I've found myself, again, I mean that the self-identity I'd just birthed during my 3rd year in design school has finally been rediscovered.



Part of this rediscovery came in the form of revisiting old projects from design studio, using modern tools of 3D modeling (above) with a matured capacity for self-exploration.

I know I'm better. I know I've got the ability and capacity to explore and judge my work, such that my own language is clear and understandable.

No comments: