Friday, November 3, 2017

Life and Death

Life brings the inevitability of death.

In youth, we perceive death in an entirely different way than we do as an adult, and then as a senior.

In our younger age, death is an unfair, sad reality. Those we love shouldn't have to die, ever.

As an adult, we see and understand the inevitability of death. It can sometimes scare us, even. For others, death appears to be an absence of pain and suffering, leading some to end their lives prematurely. For others, it strengthens their resolve to live as well and as long as they can and enjoy the ride. We also grow more philosophical about dying, don't we?

As a senior (ascertained through my many conversations with retired, older folks) we look back on our lives and find it remarkable that, through all of our mistakes and terrible judgment, we somehow managed to live a long life. The inevitability is much closer, and though we fear it, we also accept the reality we face, understanding that life is that circle. We still fear the idea of the moment of death, but we can't prevent it.

Everyone wants to believe there is more after we die, even if we may not believe there is something else that follows. And it doesn't hurt to be a good person, just in case there is something that follows.

But, it is not our death that is tragic; whether or not there is something that follows, our time here in this life has ended and we aren't around to contemplate our own death. Rather, it is when our loved ones die, that we are, ourselves, grief-stricken from their absence and our choices relative to their livelihood.

This grief is doubled when we are responsible for making choices relative to our loved one's death. Should we have put our dog to sleep or should we have let him/her live out the rest of his/her life to die naturally? Should we have placed mom/dad into hospice or should we have spent the extra money and burdens to have in-home hospice?

If I were to die, I would not want those who loved me to suffer the grief of my death, whether choices they made or by the emptiness of my absence. Likewise, I would rather carry the burden of all my loved ones dying before me, that I may die without others being burdened from my absence.

I write this because my dog is nearing 15 years of age and is getting ready to die, and I want to cherish his existence as long as he can live. I know that I'll still be sad by his absence, but more than that, I will forever be grateful for his presence in my life.

Enjoy life and living, and cherish the experiences we had with those who've passed.

No comments: