Monday, April 15, 2019

The Apocalyptic Dream

Recently, I've had multiple dreams on the same subject: a nuclear apocalypse. It's very short and a variation of a semi-recurrent dream I had as a teenager.

In the 80s, I used to have this semi-recurring dream of a nuclear bomb going off in front of me with a brilliantly bright flash and the air seemingly moving all at once around me. Peering from a porch and holding onto a post, the air was suddenly hot and blowing into my face as I watched as things began to melt (burn) away, though painlessly. There was no fear in the dream; it was more of a surreal experience in someone else's body which I could escape at any time. As you might expect, I would always wake up before the end.

These past several days, a slightly different scenario has played out, twice.

In my new dreams, I'm in a vehicle trying to escape from an impending nuclear bomb blast. Caught in the blast, the air flips the vehicle forward and onto its side. While not stuck, I'm lying sideways as the light grows. Closing my eyes, I can see the tremendous light through my shut eyelids as it turns from a brilliant white to yellow and orange as the air grows hot. Unlike my older dream, this time, I can feel a headache and an immense pressure being exerted, rapidly and steadily on my head and body. Again, no fear involved; just a surreal feeling of being in someone else's body.

And then I wake up.

Curious, don't you think?

Are dreams a pathway to a different universe of existence? Doubtful, but that would be cool, eh? 

Is there a deeper meaning to these dreams, particularly since they're seemingly a recurring theme? Possibly, but there is no understanding to be gained by facing an inescapable reality and it's clear that I've long accepted the universal truth that death is inevitable. At least in this case, there doesn't seem to be a deeper meaning to my apocalyptic dreams.

Or, are dreams simply ways of exploring things that cannot be reasonably explored in real life? That's what I think is going on, here. I always recall a sense of being an observer and letting things play out however they may, apocalyptic dream or otherwise.

No comments: