Thursday, December 18, 2014

Something I learned about myself, while on vacation.

First off, it really wasn't much of a vacation; nonetheless, I was mostly separated from the internet, not by a lack of access, but a lack of time.

The obvious point here, is that one begins to prioritize when faced with limitations, and these were my choices:
  • Instead of blogging via Blogger, I stuck to the faster, easier and plain Google+ platform. I did not make a single blog post, but I posted several photos on Google+. I just didn't have the time to do full posts and edit photos / edit HTML.
  • I skipped a lot of reading of design-related articles, but I nonetheless read most tech stories, though I completely skipped out on commenting on any of the stories that piqued my interest.
  • I did not watch a single Hulu video, which means that my queue is now a dozen videos long.
  • Along a similar vein, I mostly skipped watching any YouTube video from my subscriptions.
  • I totally ignored my Twitter feed and didn't touch Pinterest.
  • I still played my games, but barely. By the time I finally got down to playing a game or two, it was late at night and I'd end up falling asleep shortly after a few games.
  • I completely passed on reading emails from retailers and skipped out on daily deals.
  • I ignored my Yahoo email 100%.
  • I stopped obsessing.
Aside from Hulu / online videos and using Blogger, I'm probably going to cut back on all other items to focus on design.

During the flight to and from Hawai'i, I found myself focused on reading and working on design ideas, which came pouring out like crazy. Upon observing other family members, it became clear that most of us had ADHD.

So there it is.

If only I could tame my limited attention span, I could probably break through what I've long suspected was a self-imposed ceiling.  I might go see the doctor to grab a prescription to test out what happens if I limit my ADHD, if I can't keep to my plan to limit my online activities.

No comments: