Monday, April 14, 2014

10 Thoughts for April 14, 2014

  1. No, I haven't started my taxes yet.  I will start.  Soon.  Maybe later.  But definitely before Tuesday's midnight deadline.  I have the greatest benefit in the world of living within a few blocks of the post office which stays open until midnight on tax day.  I'll start later today, for sure.  Like, tonight.
  2. Speaking of, despite downloading H&R Tax Cut some 6~8 weeks ago and updating the software at that time, this morning when I opened the software up again, there were updates waiting for me.  Procrastination reinforced.
  3. Every eclipse -- lunar or solar -- turns into some spectacular natural event that is so rare that if you miss it then you're a fool.  And then it turns out it returns.  Again.  And Again.
  4. Every time family visits, it feels like a cumbersome chore to have to clean house and entertain.  But then when they leave it feels like I got punched in the gut and something has gone missing from the heart.
  5. I saw that beef prices had jumped of late.  A month ago I'd gotten 93% lean ground sirloin from Safeway for $2.99/pound and then the other week 80% lean ground beef was being sold at $3.99/pound.  You know what hasn't changed in prices?  Organic ground beef.  Still sold at $5.99/pound.
  6. It occurred to me at the end of a dream, that there is no such thing as "cosmic karma" and that karma isn't a bitch, as is cited and recited in Californication over the years.  Karma is not retribution; rather, it means that you reap what you sow.  Karma is one of those words that has gained a separate meaning from its actual one, much like "irony" has.
  7. Speaking of, I just finished a binge marathon of Californication Season 6.  So thankful that Netflix sent the two discs in the same turn, rather than split them.  So thankful Californication is just a 30-minute-slot show; to do Breaking Bad marathons was much tougher.
  8. T-Mo's been on a roll lately.  Today they've made the move to eliminate overage charges by moving all plans and customers to unlimited minutes / texts /data, with no change in pricing.  Of course the data is not really unlimited, as the caps are still in place, but that your speeds are slowed down.
  9. I logged into My Adobe and was presented with the requirement that I check on the box indicating that I had read the updated terms of agreement.  So I started checking out the terms in the little box, but after scrolling a bit, I realized this was no meager terms.  I copied and pasted it out in a word document and it came out to 20 pages.  I call this the WTF moment: When you realize that a company is trying to throw you off from recognizing major legal changes to their terms by dumping boatloads of legalese on you in hopes that your eyes will glaze over and you'll just hit the "I read these terms and understood them" button, even though you've done no such thing.  Pure evil.
  10. I've had enough of the Heartbleed Bug, how about you?  Well, suck it up junior, because you have to change some of your passwords.  First though, you'll have to check with this SSL / certificate checker.  The key here is to look carefully at the date of when the certificate was issued, despite the site telling you that a given website is safe.  You see, if the certificate hasn't been updated since last week and the domain gets a passing grade, then you truly don't need to update your password, but in all other cases you will.  I don't blame you if your eyes roll to the back of your head...I have 99 passwords to parse through (I track all of my accounts) and my eyeballs rolled 360 degrees before falling out; thankfully my eyeballs are attached.

No comments: