Friday, July 15, 2016

Figured out what was bugging my Nexus 5.

For the past 10 months, my phone would suddenly shut down when I was taking a photo, most frequently when I was listening to music at the same time. It would then fail to restart unless plugged into a power source. I figured it could be a corrupt memory block or apps that were interfering with each other's memory. Short of resetting to factory, I simply started carrying a pocket-sized battery.

I finally solved the problem last week.

There wasn't enough memory available on the phone. Although there was 6GB of space available, the OS was apparently using it as RAM, and the smaller it got, the more frequent the problem. I removed over 8GB of older photos, archived into my server, and now the problem has completely disappeared.

I love my phone, so much that I can easily see myself using it for another year or more, buying additional batteries along the way. Now that I know what was causing my phone to shut down, I think I'll keep my phone through the rest of this year, at least.

No comments: