Tuesday, May 12, 2015

5 Thoughts for May 12, 2015 (updated)

  1. Tom Brady got slapped with a 4-game suspension for DeflateGate. The way I see it, no ball boy is going to dictate what the PSI should be; the ball boy is going to follow the wishes of the quarterback. That Brady didn't volunteer access to his phone's records may be kosher in criminal justice, but otherwise fails the practical means of exonerating one's self. With the evidence reflecting "the deflator's" contempt for Brady after being thrown under the bus, Brady's link was identified as "probable". The significance of this language is that in civil court a jury's duty is to find "probable cause", and not the criminal level of "without doubt". -- Update: Ted Wells (the investigator) offered comments that backed up my point of his specific language, stating, "I was very careful to draft in the report what the appropriate standard of proof was. And that is far different than probable cause, which some reporters have reported. The preponderance of the evidence standard is a commonly used standard in civil litigation."
  2. Were it not for Google Fiber's inception, I doubt that cities and states would be seeing a sudden rush of gigabit fiber services, priced at GF levels. Prior to GF, you couldn't get 300 megabit speeds for less than $200. Now that GF has set the bar at $70 for 1 gigabit, even municipal fiber, Chattanooga's epbfi, had to dramatically lower prices from $350 to $70 to compete with the threat of GF. People truly under-appreciate the value that GF brought. Speaking of GF, Oregon finally changed the law that allowed for the central assessment tax of intangible properties, and after a correction, has now opened the doors for GF to come in.
  3. Dallas Cowboys signed undrafted free-agent George Farmer for $55,000, of which, $15,000 was a signing bonus -- it means that he had multiple suitors to boost his signing price. I'm bummed that Seattle didn't sign (or draft) Farmer. I see that they're enamored with a smaller speedster in Tyler Lockett. Just a reminder though: Farmer's 40-yard time was 4.35 seconds, and Lockett's was 4.40.
  4. There is opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP trade pact) from labor unions, and the reason is obvious: exportation of manufacturing jobs. But here's the thing: with the removal of tariffs and opening up trade, suddenly domestic manufacturers have equal standing with foreign companies. Domestic companies, attempting to compete by avoiding tariffs and disparate rules, won't need to open foreign corporate facilities. The key to making TPP fair, however, really lies in how environmental and health regulations are treated -- do Chinese companies get to pollute to their heart's content, or will the Chinese finally crack down on their industries? Without sound regulations and enforcement, China will always have an advantage.
  5. Back when I was a senior in high school, I was nominated for a statewide award -- there were a series of categories and I was nominated for history / social studies -- and had to do an interview (sorry, but I didn't win). Actually, it was a 3-day fun-and-work event, where I got to meet several awesome women. Anyway, during the interview, noting that I was planning to study Architecture, a panel member queried my thoughts on vernacular Architecture. I stand by my statement back then: Vernacular design should not constrict a designer, because technology changes the need for certain elements and, modifications can and should be made to adjust to contemporaneous influences. Of course back then, I wasn't as elegant in my language as I am today...or at least I hope that my language today is much more elegant. :D

No comments: