Tuesday, August 25, 2015

5 Thoughts for August 25, 2015

  1. Oil prices are now at about what they were at the bottom of the 2008-2009 global recession. Sadly, gas prices aren't. Is it price fixing in gasoline retail markets? The divergence is huge right now. Regardless, what this highlights is that NOW is the time to buy that hybrid or electric vehicle, and not when oil prices jump -- at that point you'll be competing on price for hybrids and electrics.
  2. Right about now, do you suppose that USC AD Pat Haden is regretting hiring Steve Sarkisian over Ed Orgeron? Sark's in the middle of getting a divorce, sold his home, and apparently has an alcohol problem that he's going to seek help with. I suppose that if he wins and reaches the championship game, all is forgiven.
  3. Something I didn't know: If you're a resident of Multnomah County, you can visit the Oregon Historical Society in downtown Portland for free. All these years and I haven't gone once -- I must rectify this.
  4. A researcher tells us what we already knew: Search ranking can affect choices. In a behavioral paper, Robert Epstein shows that one could modify search rankings to change the outcomes of elections. But here's the rub: He argues that this is why Google's algorithms must be regulated, yet he doesn't quite seem to get that Google modifies its algorithms to minimize SEO (Search Engine Optimization / aka search engine rankings) manipulation. If you regulate algorithms the unintended consequence will be that the unregulated Super PACs will thus be able to have greater influence on search rankings, and election manipulation. Be careful of what you wish for, Robert Epstein. An amusing discovery somewhat buried in his research paper: Self-identified Moderate Republicans were the most easily influenced voters when it came to search ranking manipulation, while self-identified Democrats were among the least vulnerable.
  5. My brother (in-law) sent me an email telling me that he discovered Chromecast, and was casting KODI (XBMC) to his TV via computer. I had this grin in my face as I read it, because I'd played around with Boxee (an HTPC front-end GUI similar to XBMC) some 7 years ago, and of course I've had my Chromecast for two years, now. With his config however, I would think that the Nexus Player would be better -- I should probably email him back explaining this.

+5 Quick Links

  1. Still pissed at Bush. I offer retort via CeeLo, to Jeb's comment linking Anchor Babies and Asians.
  2. Former Portland Archbishop Levada caught DUI while weaving in traffic, in Kona.
  3. All about Deez Nuts. Seems to describe the 2016 GOP field.
  4. Metromile did a study, using Google Auto's data, showing costs savings from self-driving.
  5. Just in case you didn't know whose side Randy's Donuts was on.

No comments: