Monday, June 29, 2015

Got Google Music?

Since last week's move to offer free, ad-supported radio streaming, I've been enjoying dozens of hours of listening of Google Music's radio. After spending about 15 minutes of providing input on musical tastes (selecting artists) Google Music threw out a bunch of curated (from Songza) stations to stream. Here are my favorites that I've added to my personal library:

Jazz for Reading -- Down tempo jazz for chilling out. I use it as background music for doing anything and everything. Seems like it'd be perfect for a cafe, too.

Lazy Summer Radio -- This one features 60s and 70s mellow tunes, but not exclusively. It's perfect for Sunday mornings in the summer.

Celebrate Good Times! Radio -- It's a collection of classic party tunes, centered in the 70s through the 90s.

Bust a Move Radio -- Club dance music classics from the 80s on forward. Skip the DJ and just stream this station into your loudspeaker.

Arthur Lyman Radio -- If I need to explain who Arthur Lyman is, you're not hip enough to appreciate this sort of lounge music that goes well with tiki torches.

The Crystal Method Radio -- Love Crystal Method and electronic.

Bon Bon Radio -- This one is a lot of fun. If you can understand Pitbull, Far East Movement and The Black Eyed Peas mashed up, then you'll appreciate this station. Lots of energy.

If you've noticed, there's no classical radio station in my list. Their classical listings are tougher to figure out. 

I don't really want to listen to a station mixing Debussy and Beethoven -- talk about mixed periods and emotions. If I want symphonic band music and search for Frederick Fennell, I get a hodge podge of stuff from his studio orchestra days mixed in.

Heck, they don't even have a station dedicated to classical music for Halloween; who doesn't want a station with O Fortuna (from Carmina Burana) mixed with Night on Bald Mountain, George Crumb's Black Angels, Bach's Toccata and Fugue and Dream of the Night of the Sabbath from Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique?

Well, I made my own YouTube playlist, called the Classical Halloween. :D

No comments: