Wednesday, December 3, 2014

About Ferguson.

I wanted to write about what happened in Ferguson, and I had actually reached 400+ words on the subject, before erasing it all. You see, all of my experiences so far, have shown that Ferguson is no longer about an incident, but about themes.

So here's the deal.  I've taken multiple implicit association tests -- tests that indicate potential unconscious biases -- and not only do I moderately favor (like) African-Americans over White-Americans, but I have neutral bias between Asian-Americans and European-Americans.

Yet, if I open my mouth (or take to writing) to explain my opinion, based on the fairly extensive research and reading I've done on Ferguson, people shut their minds and revert to their bias. It is absolutely frustrating.

I can't tell you about how there is truth to all of the themes of racism in America, but that they don't apply to Ferguson, because your mind is already made up that racism applies to what happened in Ferguson.

Likewise, I can't tell you that racism remains a systemic problem in America, most pointedly demonstrated by what happened to Trayvon Martin down in Florida in 2012, because the rest of you are also biased and have long made up your minds that we live in a post-racial world.

I can't explain that, in fact, police brutality widely exists because there are idiot police officers out there who fail to follow their training and deescalate confrontations.

I can't do any of these things, because people have turned their ears and eyes away, stricken by their biases.

I am juror 8, and the world is full of angry people.

No comments: