Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Update after a full year with MetroMile.

So, it's officially been one full year (12 monthly billing cycles) since I've switched to MetroMile.  I haven't yet made a claim so I can't speak to their customer service or anything like that, but I can compare my rates to my old State Farms account.

To revisit, my current MetroMile plan is actually more generous when it comes to benefits, than my old State Farms plan.  The reason why I switched was because SF's lowest mileage discount was at ~5,500 miles, and at that level I would have been paying about $1200 a year -- that, despite being with SF for nearly 2 decades.  With MM, I was billed at a really low base rate with a per-mile charge, monthly.

12 months with SF (based on the renewal policy rate that I chucked):
  • 1341 miles driven;
  • ~$1200;
  • = ~$0.89 / mile driven in 2013-2014 period (what I would have paid if I stayed with SF).
12 months with MM:
  • 1341 miles driven;
  • $327;
  • ~$0.24 / mile driven in 2013-2014 period.
Three things to note here.

  • Firstly, my MM rates were adjusted downward, between new (annual) policies, which was something I'd never experienced before -- with SF adjustments were only done at policy renewals and it has become a very rare thing to see my rates drop.  My MM base rate was initially at $0.82 / day plus $0.03 / mile driven.  In February, my base rate dropped to $0.78 / day plus $0.029 / mile driven. 
  • Secondly, yes, I really don't drive that much.  It's not that I ride my bike everywhere, but that most of my groceries are just four blocks away, and there are five coffee shops within four blocks of me, and I "work" at home.  Heh.  Even when I was working at an office, my annual mileage hovered around 3,000 miles.
  • Thirdly, 73% reduction in my auto insurance, are you kidding?  Heck yeah!  That's even better than my projected 65% savings!
And good news for people in California: You can now sign up for MetroMile!  Hey, I once lived in California and I remember just how high rates were.  And even when I lived in LA, I still didn't drive 10,000 miles annually.

Want to sign up?  Help me get 1000 carbon credits and sign up, here: http://fbuy.me/bee-C

Finally, I just want to reiterate that I haven't yet made a claim so I can't offer up any information on their customer service / quality of service on that end.  When I cross that bridge, I'll write a post about it.

No comments: